If you have any Kansas City area internships you would like to post on this blog, send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org. On average, we try to keep postings up at least 45-60 days. We check all listings once or twice a week to make sure they are still valid. In addition, new jobs are added every day or every other day. Thank you for reading and good luck in your job search!
You can also follow @kcjobseekers or @markvanbaale on Twitter to get the latest job updates for this page.
Communications Intern with Garmin (Posted November 13)
Our Communications intern will enjoy a hands-on learning experience in a variety of media and markets assisting the Media Relations and Marketing Communications staff with communication, administrative, and clerical duties.
- Develop and enhance existing media contact lists.
- Use Cision and other electronic monitoring to compile media coverage reports.
- Assist in assembling media kits/consignments for distribution to news media.
- Assist in developing/writing content for Garmin social media channels and Waypoints internal newsletter.
- Possess demonstrated strong and effective verbal, written, and interpersonal communication skills.
- Proficiency in word processing and database programs.
- Demonstrated exceptional writing skills and knowledge of Associate Press style guidelines and excellent presentation skills is also required.
- Candidates with passion for and/or experience in navigation, consumer electronics, wireless, fitness, and/or automotive electronics are preferred.
- Experience using social media outlets such as Twitter, Facebook, and/or LinkedIn is also a plus.
- Pursuing a Bachelors Degree in Public Relations, Communications, Journalism, English, or another related major.
More Details and to Apply
Graphic Design Internship with Kansas City Chiefs (Posted November 8)
This internship is for someone who is willing to work at least 4-5 days a week. This internship is for college students. This is an unpaid internship and students must receive college credit.
Duties will include but are not limited to:
- Designing promotional material (posters, print ads, postcards, brochures)
- Web graphics
- Brand Management (Logo)
- Event support (invitations, signage)
- Illustration and photograph
- Assist Graphic Designer as needed
The ideal candidate should have:
- Working towards a degree in Graphic Design.
- Must know basic programs on a Macintosh computer.
- Adobe (CS4 and CS5) Photoshop, Adobe Illustrator, Adobe InDesign, Adobe Acrobat and Font Management experience.
- Comfortable working on multiple projects with tight deadlines in a fast-pace team environment.
- Has a keen sense of paying attention to detail, organized and works well under tight deadlines.
More Details and to Apply
Social Media Marketing Intern with Jennings Social Media Marketing (Posted November 2)
Jennings Social Media Marketing is looking for a Social Media Marketing Intern who will be trained to work with a team of experts in the areas of social media, marketing, e-news, Web videos, media outreach and research and development. Candidate must possess strong written and verbal communication skills, understand AP Style, understand social networking and have a strong knowledge base in social media. Candidate must be self-directed, independent thinker, desire to solve problems and think strategically. All applicants must be at least at a sophomore level in college.
Desired Skills & Experience:
- Journalism background.
- Marketing knowledge.
- AP Style knowledge.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills.
- Web video knowledge.
- SEO knowledge.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office products including Excel, Word and PowerPoint.
More Details and to Apply
Graphic Design Internship with Sporting KC (Posted October 16)
Sporting Kansas City is looking for a graphic design intern for the Spring semester. The candidate will work between 8-10 hours per week, and will not exceed the hours required to earn the academic credit. The internship will provide experience working within a design team, and give the individual experience with time and project management, and dealing with deadlines. This is an unpaid internship.
Will work with design team to:
• Create and develop sales collateral including but not limited to: promotional flyers and materials, vouchers, invitations and advertisements.
• Learn how to design and build email blasts.
• Be a junior or senior currently enrolled in a four-year degree design program at an accredited institution.
• Receive credit through the internship toward completion of his/her degree.
• Must have a GPA of at least 3.0.
• Must provide proof that you will receive credit through the internship toward the completion of your degree.
Knowledge in the following programs:
• Dreamweaver and basic knowledge HTML and CSS a plus
• Brief portfolio (PDF or link to online portfolio)
• Proof of GPA
More Details and to Apply
Public Relations Intern with The Kauffman Center for the Performing Arts (Posted October 5)
The Kauffman Center for the Performing Arts is seeking an enthusiastic individual who is looking for hands-on public relations and communications experience in a fast-moving, start-up environment during the spring semester (preferred January 21 – May 24, 2013).
- Can commit to a minimum of 20 hours per week during the course of the internship with some flexibility for select evening events.
- Is flexible, dependable, detail-oriented, and self-starting.
- Has strong written and verbal communication skills with confidence in proofreading abilities.
- Has experience with: data entry, PowerPoint, Excel, Word, emailing, and social media pages.
Preference may be given to candidates who meet one or more of the following criteria:
- Is enrolled in or has completed a college degree in Marketing, Communications or Journalism.
- Has previous work experience in the fields of Marketing, Public Relations, Community Relations, Digital Media or similar.
- Has experience producing mass email communications using software such as Wordfly, Constant Contact or similar.
- Has previous CRM database experience (Ex. Tessitura).
- Has experience editing WordPress websites or blogs.
- Assist with social media monitoring/communication strategies.
- Act as a liaison with photographers and supervise some on-site photography and film shoots.
- Communicate via email to answer questions from patrons and community members.
- Maintain photo archive.
- Compile press clippings and archive existing materials.
- Communicate media hits and upcoming events via organizational intranet tool.
- Implement website blog updates and edits.
- Create email marketing templates and maintain subscriber lists.
- Prepare informational press kits and greet members of the press at select evening events.
- Assist with coordination of events and initiatives for the young professional network group Encore.
- Filing, data entry and other administrative duties as assigned.
This is an unpaid internship but staff is happy to help arrange for course credit.
Please email a 1-page résumé and 1-page cover letter to: Kristin Smithson at email@example.com by November 15, 2012. No phone calls, please. Additional materials, including writing or work samples, are welcome but not required. All application items must be submitted as a complete package. On your résumé, be sure to include why you want the position, relevant experience, computer skills, and three professional references. References will be checked and interviews will be conducted.
Public Relations & Social Media Intern with Kansas City Area Development Council (Posted October 5)
Length of Internship: Fall 2012 / Spring 2013
The Public Relations and Social Media intern plays an important role in the Kansas City Area Development Council’s marketing department. This person assists with a variety of marketing projects including the development of content for various social media accounts, writing for KCADC’s quarterly newsletter, media relations and event coordination.
KCADC interns have the unique opportunity to network with metro area’s top 250 companies and community leaders through monthly, bi-monthly and annual events. Duties include writing projects, media relations, market research, event coordination and some general administrative tasks.
- Must be pursuing a degree in communications, journalism, public relations, marketing, or related field.
- Exceptional writing skills, experience with all types of media writing.
- Proficient in social media platforms including Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, blogs and online communities.
- Strong verbal skills; the ability to communicate well over the phone.
- Good interpersonal and relationship-building skills.
- Excellent organizational skills and the ability to effectively prioritize and complete multiple projects and assignments to meet deadlines.
- Attentive to detail and quality conscious.
- Knowledge of Associated Press stylebook.
Please send cover letter, résumé and writing samples via email to: Jessica Nelson, Marketing & Public Relations Specialist, Kansas City Area Development Council, firstname.lastname@example.org.
Marketing Intern with NetStandard (Posted September 26)
The Marketing Intern is a communications generalist who will support NetStandard’s internal and external communications. The Marketing Intern will act in a supportive role to NetStandard’s Marketing team in a fast-paced, creative B2B environment.
- Social Media Marketing support on multiple platforms (Twitter, WordPress, LinkedIn, Facebook, etc.).
- Content Marketing support.
- Events Planning support.
- Administrative marketing tasks, as needed.
- Occasional creative/graphic design support.
- Must be able to work two or three days a week in our Kansas City, Kansas office.
- Must have working knowledge of social media platforms and engagement tools.
- Must have excellent writing/communication skills.
- Must have strong administrative/clerical skills.
- Good research skills are necessary; must be able to identify valid websites and information.
- Experience working in the Adobe Creative Suite (InDesign, Illustrator, PhotoShop).
- Must have experience working in marketing, journalism, public relations or social media, or currently in pursuit of a college-level degree in English, Marketing, Business, Journalism or Communications.
More Details and to Apply