To help provide as much information as possible for job seekers in the Kansas City area, we will attempt to list networking events, career fairs, classes, job search workshops, etc. on this blog. Below are the events/meetings for the week of November 8:
Tuesday, November 9:
Red | Ventures Sales Job Fair
Courtyard Kansas City, Overland Park Convention Center
11001 Woodson Avenue
Overland Park, KS 66211
Time: 10:00 AM – 3:00 PM
Info: This is a great chance to meet the Red Ventures team and learn more about their sales positions. They are looking for telephone sales reps. Red Ventures is a marketing firm with established strategic partnerships across a number of high-growth consumer industries. Red Ventures has twice been named one of the nation’s twenty fastest-growing companies (Inc. magazine).
Responsibilities for sales reps:
• Taking inbound calls and placing permission based outbound calls in order to sell our products and services.
No cold calling! Our potential customers have already expressed an interest in the products we sell.
• Selling 100% on the telephone (8 hours a day) in a scripted, call center environment.
• Updating our contact management system with contact and order information.
Check out Red Ventures on their website.
Admission and parking is FREE.
The Job Radio Show
Time: 10:00 am to 11:00 am
This week’s guest: Kent Barthol from the Kansas City Business Journal
Listen live on 102.9 FM or 1140 AM.
Wednesday, November 10
Linking Power & Light District Networking & Benefit Breakfast
Power & Light Grill
417 E 13th Street
Kansas City, MO 64106
Time: 7:30 am – 9:00am
Free to attend.
Linking Power & Light Professionals is a networking and professional support group for professionals who wish to do business with others in or around the Power & Light District of KC MO.
Your $20 admission ($25 at the door) is a donation to the work of local shelter not for profits.
AAF-KC Career Day Late Registration Ends for November 15 event
Info: AAF-KC Career Day is your chance to put advertising professionals in the hot seat and learn all the secrets and insider information you need to get an ad gig. The event is on Monday, November 15, but to take advantage of $10 off from rate at the door, you need to register by November 10.
Contact: firstname.lastname@example.org or call 816-822-0300.
New Landings Weekly Meeting
Who We Are: New Landings is a non-profit organziation dedicated to the economic recovery of America’s middle class. New Landings empowers individuals to create and engage in meaningful work by providing resources and new avenues to showcase their skills. We provide a holistic approach to job recovery by stabilizing, energizing and mobilizing our members to condense the transition time to economic growth.
Rolling Hills Presbyterian Church
9300 Nall Avenue
Overland Park, KS
Time: 6:30-8:30 pm
Dress Attire: Business Casual
Speaker: Rob Estell
Topic: “Harnessing the Diversity of Thought“
Rob Estell will talk about how diversity of thought — the idea of more-than-one-way — is the key to understanding the potential of diversity and inclusion as an organizational resource. He will explore both the value and business case for diversity in the workplace.
Rob Estell, LSCSW, has been a professional clinical social worker, educator and speaker for over 20 years. His numerous facilitation engagements and workshop presentations have included a variety of topics related to adult learning and professional development… Rob is presently the Medical Social Worker/Educational Trainer at Hospice Care of Kansas and lecturer for the University of Kansas, School of Social Welfare. “His upbeat, positive, high-impact approach to diversity helps engage and educate attendees of his workshops”.
Thursday, November 11 (Veteran’s Day)
Kansas City Social Media Group Breakfast
16411 West. 119th St.
Time: 7:30 am to 9:00am
Free to attend. $10 for breakfast buffet if you wish to eat.
This month’s featured business: Michelle Gressel from Residence Inn, Olathe
Info: Michelle will introduce what she does at Residence Inn and marketing/social media obstacles they have encountered.
The breakfast will focus on steps for Residence Inn to overcome any marketing and social media obstacles.
A panel consisting of 4 people will give suggestions/idea for Residence Inn and also answer questions from the audience as time allows.
Olathe Chamber Coffee meeting (open to job seekers to attend for free)
Location this week:
Air Associates of Kansas
12901 West 151st Street, Suite B
Time: 9:00 am
Opportunity to mingle with Olathe area business owners and network to your next job.
The Olathe Chamber of Commerce is taking steps to help connect job seekers and employers who are hiring. To that end, the Chamber is doing the following in a program initiated by the Chairman´s Liaison Committee:
- Providing networking opportunities at Chamber coffees at a special sign-up area so job hunters and employers can meet.
- Accepting resumes of those seeking jobs, placing them in categorized binders, and making them available at Chamber coffees, at the Chamber´s HR Roundtables, and at the Chamber office to help companies identify talent for employment positions. To include your resume, contact Dana Ketterling, 764-1050 or email@example.com.
- Inviting employers to advertise employment offerings on the Chamber´s Web site. Contact Laura Baldwin,
764-1050 or firstname.lastname@example.org, for details.
- Engaging job seekers in volunteer and other events and opportunities to provide opportunities to network.
Olathe Chamber also has a pdf file you can download with information about employment resources in the Kansas City area. The link to the file is below.
In addition, The Olathe Chamber of Commerce has a partnership with CareerLink.com to offer area employers the ability to advertise job openings and job seekers to get their resumes noticed.
Friday, November 12:
Sacred Heart’s Job Club Meeting
Sacred Heart Catholic Church
5501 Monticello Rd
Go to Meeting Room #2 located on upper level of church building.
Time: 8:30 – 9:30am
Contact: Maureen Reintjes at email@example.com or call 913-422-5700, ext. 250
KansasCityHires Job Fair
InterContinental at the Plaza
401 Ward Pkwy
Kansas City, MO
Time: 11:00am – 2:00pm
Multiple Days: Tuesday, November 9 and Wednesday, November 10
New Landings Coaching Opportunity
Tuesday, 1:00 – 2:30 at the Central Resource Library (87th Street) or Wednesday, 4:30 – 6:00 at Rolling Hills Presbyterian Church.
Working in groups of six or less, you will receive personalized strategies, tools, support, and accountability to create sustainable change and help with problem-solving and goal-setting for career transition. Normally priced at $125 an hour, you receive 90 minutes for only $35 per person.
To register: email firstname.lastname@example.org
Questions? Go to www.newlandings.org or call Debra Hayes (913.269.3634)
Friday, November 19
4th Annual SHBC Entpreneurial Expo Volunteer Opportunites
Johnson County Admin Building
111 S. Cherry St.
Info on Volunteer Opportunities (perfect for job seekers to pitch in and help):
Date: November 18 (Day Before Event)
1. Signage Placement from 5-8pm; Description: Place signs directing traffic to the Expo around the Olathe area
Date: November 19 (Day of Event)
1. Expo Registration Table from 10am – 5 pm; Description: Hand out programs, collect business cards, answer questions, sign up new SHBC members.
2. Greeter from 10am – 5pm; Description: Direct people, encourage networking.
3. Tote Bag Stuffer from 8am – 10am; Description: Stuff bags.
4. Survey Administrator from 10am – 5pm; Description: Hand our surveys, collect surveys, return to registration desk.
5. People Herder from 10am – 5pm; Description: Move groups from place to place
6. Runner from 10am – 5pm; Description: Get lunches for booth vendors, help volunteers find the Expo team for direction on what to do next.
7. Drawing Prize Manager each hour for 10 minutes; Description: Pick the winners, announce and track, put announcements on the flipboard by the registration desk.
8. Timekeeper from 10am – 5pm; Description: Track the time in the workshops. Hold up signs at 10 minutes left, 5 minutes left, then at 0, turn out the lights.
If you have interest in volunteering, contact Mary Beth LeCluyse at 816-916-7284 or email@example.com.
If you know about other career fairs, meetingss or events that would benefit job seekers, please send a note to firstname.lastname@example.org. Thank you.