To help provide as much information as possible for job seekers in the Kansas City area, we will attempt to list networking events, career fairs, classes, seminars, etc. on this blog. Below are the events/meetings for the week of October 25:
Tuesday, October 26:
The Job Radio Show
Tune in to KCXL 1140AM or 102.9 FM in Kansas City
Time: 10:00-11:00 am
This week’s guest: Michelle Davis from NonProfit Connect
Michelle has been the Executive Director of Nonprofit Connect since 2005. Nonprofit Connect links the nonprofit community to education, resources and networking so organizations can more effectively achieve their missions. Prior to joining Nonprofit Connect, Michelle spent four years at the national headquarters of the National Kidney Foundation as a fundraising consultant and most recently as the national director of training. Michelle also spent three years at the corporate headquarters of Ferrellgas working on organizational development. Michelle is a member of the Greater Kansas City Chamber of Commerce Centurions Class of 2008 and Ingram’s Magazine’s Top 40 Under 40 Class of 2007. She is a graduate of Missouri State University.
Kansas City OnlineR Community October Networking Event
What: Opportunity to mingle with professionals and hear from a guest speaker
Raoul’s Velvet Room
7222 W. 119th St.
Overland Park, KS
Time: 5:30 – 7pm
Guest speaker: Tyler Prochnow
This month we will feature a speaker who has excelled in the areas of politics (including working at the White House with President George H. W. Bush); sports (having owned a professional sports team in Kansas City); and business (owner of several local and national enterprises).
If you cannot learn from the words and experiences of Tyler Prochnow, you are simply not in the room. This is going to be an event that you do not want to miss, and one that you are sure to tell others about!
Tuesday, October 26 and Wednesday, October 27
New Landings Coaching Opportunity
Tuesday, 1:00 – 2:30 at the Central Resource Library (87th Street) or Wednesday, 4:30 – 6:00 at Rolling Hills Presbyterian Church.
Working in groups of six or less, you will receive personalized strategies, tools, support, and accountability to create sustainable change and help with problem-solving and goal-setting for career transition. Normally priced at $125 an hour, you receive 90 minutes for only $35 per person.
To register: email firstname.lastname@example.org
Questions? Go to http://www.newlandings.org or call Debra Hayes (913.269.3634)
Wednesday, October 27:
Transitioning Professionals of Kansas City Metro Weekly Meeting
Who We Are: For professionals in an employment transition, using the job search techniques from the facilitators’ book: “A Road Map To Re-Employment – 12 Steps To A Successful Career Transition”
LeValley Conference Room
11224 Holmes Road
Kansas City, Mo
Park anywhere around the building. If you enter the front doors (that face Holmes), turn right and go all the way down to the end of the hall. The room is on the right. The room is typically cool – bring a jacket. Seating is limited to the first 25 people.
Time: 9:00 AM to 11:00 AM
Dress Attire: Business Casual
Topic: How to Use the KC Business Journal to find a job
Roundtable Discussion (45 Minutes)
Employment Workshop (45 Minutes)
Accountability Reporting (30 Minutes)
Kansas City Fall Career Fair
One Riverboat Dr.
North Kansas City, MO 64116
Time: 10am – 3pm
Free Parking and Admission
Park University Career Fair
Breckon Sports Center
Time: 10am – 1pm
Park University will host more than 30 companies from a variety of fields and industries for its annual career fair, which is free and open to the public. Participants, who will meet with company representatives at the fair, should bring copies of their resume and dress professionally.
Linking Leawood Professionals Luncheon
Who we are: Linking Leawood is a networking and professional support group for professionals who wish to do business with other professionals in or around Leawood, Kansas. There’s no registration, commitment or fee to be a part of this circle of strong, driven business people.
Bonefish Grill Leawood
5021 West 135th Street
Time: 11am – 1pm
Information on this luncheon:
Linking Leawood will welcome Christine Snyder, Snyder Home Remodeling, who is recognized locally for her strategic business relationship building techniques! Easy to apply and invaluable, you’ll leave this networking lunch and immediately implement these simple phrases into everyday conversations!
New Landings Weekly Meeting
Who We Are: New Landings is a non-profit organziation dedicated to the economic recovery of America’s middle class. New Landings empowers individuals to create and engage in meaningful work by providing resources and new avenues to showcase their skills. We provide a holistic approach to job recovery by stabilizing, energizing and mobilizing our members to condense the transition time to economic growth.
Rolling Hills Presbyterian Church
9300 Nall Avenue
Overland Park, KS
Time: 6:30-8:30 pm
Dress Attire: Business Casual
Topic: How to Use Twitter / Facebook in Your Job Search
– Setting up a Twitter Profile
– Building Your Network of Connections
– How to Use Twitter Job Searches to follow Conversations
– Using Hashtags to Boost Your Job Search
– Participate in Twitter Chats
– How to Set up Facebook Privacy
– Facebook Do’s and Don’ts in Job Search
1. With over 8 years of web design and online marketing experience, Mark Van Baale has played an integral part in non-profit organizations and Fortune 500 companies. He is the Founder of the Kansas City Social Media Group that meets monthly with small business owners / professionals who are learning how to use social media to improve their business. Additionally, he was a co-chairman for two Kansas City Twestivals, a Twitter-related event where people met off-line to raise donations for national and local charities. He recently launched a “Job Seekers View” blog to provide job search information and resources to help those in the job search process. Mark is an avid connector with a passion for helping people learns how to use social media tools to interact with others and increase their business. He is currently active in volunteering with New Landings to help provide social media training to its members and working with a team to increase awareness of what New Landings offers to the Kansas City community for job seekers. He is currently in the search for a social media/marketing manager role that would enable him to use his extensive background and experience to provide solutions for a small to mid-size company.
Crossroads Career Network Meeting
Woods Chapel United Methodist Church
4725 NE Lakewood Way
Lees Summit, MO
Time: 6:30-7:30 pm in Room 301
Topic: Marketing Yourself In A Market Free Fall
Presented by: John Fordham, President & CEO of Forester Advisory Services
Marketing Yourself in A Market Free Fall is a career advancement program that takes a professional business approach to the job market.
Thursday, October 28:
Olathe Chamber Coffee meeting (open to job seekers to attend for free)
Location this week:
Rawhide Harley Davidson
725 North Rawhide
Time: 9:00 am
Opportunity to mingle with Olathe area business owners and network to your next job.
Resume Reboot teleclass call
Who: Tammy Kabell with Career Resume Consulting
In this call, Tammy will cover:
- Using your resume to build your “brand” and how to define your “Unique Selling Proposition”
- The 7 characteristics of a good resume
- Exactly what NOT to include in your resume, and why
- The specific components of the most successful form of resumes
- Tips for quantifying your achievements
- How to minimize all of those “liabilities” that keep you from getting calls from employers
9221 Quivira Road
Overland Park, KS
Time: 2:00 – 3:15 pm
Free to attend.
Topics include preparing for the interview, proper attire and common questions.
KC Business Getwork Network
What: Business networking event
Who: For people who are interested in expanding their circle of networking partners. Belinda Waggoner, President of HR Haven, will be sponsoring the appetizers.
12450 Newton St.
Overland Park, KS
Networking To Success Seminar
Speaker: Danny O’Neill, The Roasterie
Holy Trinity Catholic Church
13520 West 92nd
Time: 6:45 pm
- Networking throughout Your Career – tips based on experience
- Networking–using skills you already have
- Networking – Continuous – making contacts that lead to the position of your dreams
RSVP to Judy Ambler by 10/26/10. Judy Ambler, CTM Program Director, 816.225.8610
If you know about other career fairs, meetings, or events that would benefit job seekers, please send a note to email@example.com. Thank you.